Thursday, March 8, 2012

Illinois Abe Lincoln High School Book Awards - 2013 Nominated Titles

I wanted to tell you about a reading program that is near and dear to my heart. I know that many states have children's choice book awards, and Illinois has four of them. The one for high school students is called The Abraham Lincoln High School Book Award. This award is run by our Illinois school librarian association, and in past years, I have been on the committee to select the nominated titles. We select 22 titles every year, and there are always actual teens on the committee who get to give input and actually are allowed to chose four of the titles on their own. One of the requirements for nominees is that the book is available in paperback, so you will see there are some older books on the list, but they always come up with a great list.

Here's the 2013 List of Nominated Titles (links are to my reviews):


Stephanie Perkins


Bruiser 
Neal Shusterman


The Chosen One
Carol Lynch Williams


Clockwork Angel
Cassandra Clare


Dark Song
Gail Giles


Finnikin of the Rock
Melina Marchetta


Kathryn Stockett


Impossible
Nancy Werlin


Impulse
Ellen Hopkins


Scott Westerfeld


Little Brother
Cory Doctorow


Lockdown: Escape from Furnace
Alexander G. Smith


lly Condie A


Rick Yancey


Justina Chen Headley


Paranormalcy
Kiersten White


Rikers High
Paul Volponi


Paolo Bacigalupi


Jandy Nelson


Thirteen Reasons Why
Jay Asher


War 
Sebastian Junger


Will Grayson, Will Grayson
John Green & David Levithan


Red titles = chosen by the Student Reader Panel


Students vote each year in February, so we don't have this year's winner. I think it will be announced March 20th, so I'll be sure to post it then. Past winners are:
  • 2011 Suzanne Collins -- Hunger Games
  • 2010  Cassandra Clare --  City of Bones
  • 2009 Ellen Hopkins -- Crank
  • 2008 Stephenie Meyer -- Twilight 
  • 2007 Scott Westerfeld -- Uglies
  • 2006 Jodi Picoult -- My Sister’s Keeper
  • 2005 Dave Pelzer -- A Child Called “It”
I'm anxious to read the nominated titles that I haven't read yet. I only need to purchase two of the titles for my library--I have the rest already! Do you know what your state does for student choice awards? Feel free to share your lists -- sometimes the titles are very comparable, and sometimes they are very different, so I'd be interested to see them!






Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Great list! So happy to see Leviathan on the list - I have some teens who are crazy about that series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm voting for Lockdown: Escape from Furnace by Alexander G. Smith!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...