Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday Memories - Speak


Welcome to my meme, Monday Memories, where I feature favorite books we've loved from the past. You can link to an old review, or write something new about a beloved book from your past. Really, what's important is not the book, but why it is memorable to you. So, have fun reminiscing, and leave a comment below, so we can all enjoy your memories.


Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak was one of my first forays into young adult literature. It was published in 1999, approximately the same time I became a librarian. I read it soon after it's publication. It seems when you read anything about this book, it's often categorized as a "must read" for teens. The book is not without controversy mostly due to the sexual content of the rape. Melinda doesn't speak after a traumatic event, and she is ostracized by her peers because she called 991 during a party, and the police come and break it up. It's been a while, but there's beautiful writing here. This is a story of recovery -- a very slow process, but for teens who like "problem novels," this one should be at the top of the list.

It's a book that has stuck with me -- and that's saying something, since much of what I've read, especially that long ago, I don't recall. It's pretty short, too, so if you've not experienced this one, I think you should find the time.

It was also made into a movie, which I haven't seen, so if you think I should see it, please let me know in the comments.



Share one of your cherished book memories!


You can do a Monday Memories post on your blog. Copy my button and link back here, so others can see all the other posts.  Leave a comment below with the link to your post.

Or, just leave one of your Monday Memories right here in the comments.

Be sure to visit some other blogs that have posted their links. Thanks!






Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Speak is such a powerful boo; it appeals to so many of the readers and non-readers at my high school

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie, yet somehow had never realized it was a book!! Now I'm going to have to hunt down the book and read it :)


    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I loved this book! An amazing book. When my girls are in their early teens, I'll be reading this with each of them. It's an important topic for mothers and daughters to discuss and a book makes good discussion material.

    But I think this book is more than just about rape. It's about healing and grieving. The imagery of the tree she made in art class is just so beautiful that I want to cry just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speak is a favorite of mine. I actually featured it in a Memorable Monday post a few months back. It is an intense read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...