Monday, September 10, 2012

Book Review: Daughter of the Goddess, by Rita J. Webb @RitaJWebb

Daughter of the Goddess is a fantasy novella that easily will hold your interest.

Peaches has had a rough life her first 5 years. But all that changes within a few minutes of beginning Daughter of the Goddess. She gets taken in by a new "mom" and given to the Goddess to be educated and grow into a woman.

When she is 18, she begins an epic journey to a foreign land to find the man that she is to marry. Her journey is hampered by Naga, the snake-man that has plagued her dreams since she came to the Goddess. Anything that the Goddess favors, Naga wants to destroy.

I became attached to Peaches, and cared what happened to her. She is fully developed and interesting. Daughter of the Goddess moves quickly, and at 85 pages, my complaints have to do with the fact that it is so short.

I don't read many short stories or novellas, simply because I like the full details of the setting, plot, and characters. While Peaches had me rooting for her, none of the secondary characters really mattered to me at all. I would have liked to know more about the world and specifically this religion. When Peaches goes on her journey, people know she belongs to the Goddess. What does that mean to them? There's some mythology here that I think is missing.

Some things happened very quickly. I found myself thinking, "Wait, now what just happened?" And going back to re-read. One example of this is the beginning when Peaches is passed from her evil birth mother, to the woman that pledges to be her new mother, to the Goddess in a matter of a few minutes. I understand this is a characteristic of a novella, and I did understand what happened, but once again, the reason that I don't read very many novellas.

Webb has done a good job with Daughter of the Goddess, and it's worth the short time it takes to read. The ending is tense and also happy. It is easy to read, and I didn't find any grammar or proofreading errors. If Peaches ever returns in future books, I'd like to find out what happens to her.

Published by Robot Playground, July 22, 2012
eBook obtained from the author
85 pages

Rating: 3/5




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed her story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like a nice short story. :) great review. love that name, Peaches.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...