Thursday, September 4, 2014

Book Review: The Lives We Lost by Megan Crewe

While The Lives We Lost kept my interest, it does suffer a bit from second book syndrome.

Just a warning: There may be spoilers for the first book, The Way We Fall

Things have not gotten any better on the island for Kaelyn and her friends. People are still dying, they are totally cut off from the mainland, and there's no end in sight. When Kaelyn finds sample of a potential vaccine in her father's lab, she becomes obsessed with taking these samples to someplace on the mainland who can replicate the vaccine and distribute it widely.

A lot happens in The Lives We Lost, but nothing really happens. I mean, they get in a lot of sticky situations, but it seems like the same thing over and over, and at the end of the book, there hasn't been much  evolution of the story line AT ALL.

The group (I won't be specific about who is on this journey) finds some new bad guys and realizes just how bad things are all over. The part that really bothered me is how stupid their decision making process is. I can't say too much, because I don't want to give anything away, but the places they decided to head for just didn't make any sense. You are looking for medical personnel or scientists. Where would you go? It's the middle of WINTER. Maybe you should think about heading south instead of even farther north?

They spend much of the book spinning their wheels and getting nowhere, except managing to get a bunch of really bad people pursuing them.

But, that's what makes it exciting, and it was.  But just looking back on the story arc, I feel cheated. Like I spend a bunch of time and really got nowhere. At least it was exciting and enjoyable to read.  If you liked the first book, I would still recommend The Lives We Lost. And I'm planning on reading the third book, The Worlds We Make, as soon as possible -- I have to find out what happens!

Published by Hyperion 2013
Copy won from the publisher during Armchair BEA
276 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...