Monday, March 20, 2017

Book Review: The Cutaway by Christina Kovac @christina_kovac

The Cutaway by Christina Kovac book cover and review
The Cutaway kept me guessing and did a good job building up the tension.

Virginia Knightly is a television news producer who has been relieved of her producing duties.  Good thing, because she's become intrigued with a missing person's case.  A young attorney in Washington D.C. has disappeared after leaving a restaurant with her husband.

It's D.C., so there's politics involved.  Virginia's ex is investigating the case, and maybe he's lying to her? There's a varied cast of characters and things start to look like a police coverup.  But why?  What did this very young, inexperienced attorney have that would make her a target.

I liked Virginia.  She's strong and resilient.  She's smart, and I found it easy to root for her. I really enjoyed the twists and turns in The Cutaway.  It kept me guessing as Virginia follows leads and you think, "now she's got it!" but no...that's not it either.  I didn't figure it out until she did.

The author is an experienced reporter and familiar with TV news and assumes the reader is too.  I'm not.  I did wish for a little more explanation of the workings of the news cycle, and what is involved in getting the nightly news on the air.  There were some terms and expressions that I didn't quite understand.  I really don't even get the title. Well, I guess I understood kind of, but there was a lot of tension over stories and timing that I just didn't feel.  I don't think this took anything away from the actual story, but I think she missed an opportunity to educate her readers.

The other thing that was a small issue is the denouement.  After the case is over and done, there is a lot of personal stuff that gets resolved.  Maybe I was just tired, but it seemed like a lot of pages of this. Once again, not a huge issue.

The Cutaway is definitely a worthwhile read for mystery fans.  Especially if you like the kind where it's about investigative reporting and not about police procedure. I think older teens would enjoy The Cutaway also.

Published by Atria, Marcy 21, 2017
eARC obtained from NetGalley
320 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. It has been a long time since I read a really good mystery. Maybe over Spring Break I will find something like this book which will fit my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of combining mystery and poltiics and the news so I'll add this one to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...