Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Book Review: A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas book cover and review
I really enjoy the characterizations and the original world building that Maas has created in A Court of Mist and Fury.

The story of Feyre, Tamlin, and Rhysand just gets more complex as we continue the adventures they began in A Court of Thorns and Roses.  Feyre is safe with Tamlin and ready to get married, but she also can't forget about the deal she made with Rhysand that means she has to spend one week of every month with him.  He has yet to collect any time from her, and Feyre is beginning to think he will let her out of it.  But he doesn't.

Tamlin has become so controlling that Feyre begins to enjoy her time at the Night Court with Rhys.  Eventually, she can no longer stand Tamlin's treatment and willingly escapes to stay with Rhys and become one of his court.  I know.  It's hard to believe.  But there is much more to Rhys than we learned about in the first book.  Much, much more.

But I don't want to tell you too much about that.  Suffice it to say that Feyre and Rhys, along with some new characters, are trying to avoid another all-out war with the King of Hybern.  He's ready to attack and they must stop him at all costs.  And the costs are high.

Feyre also is learning about her new fae self and all of the powers that come with that transformation.

The part that held me back a little is the romantic tension between Feyre and Rhys.  It got to be a bit much.  And, there's more explicit sex in A Court of Mist and Fury than I am used to seeing in YA literature, so be warned.  And quite a bit of cursing, which doesn't bother me, but may bother you. It seems like this has almost turned into a New Adult series.

At over 600 pages, A Court of Mist and Fury is a bit long.  But the action is pretty steady so although I thought some small parts were a bit lengthy, it wasn't too big of a problem.  The ending is heartbreaking, and I already have the third book, A Court of Wings and Ruin, so I'm excited to continue. All my teens love this series, so it isn't a hard sell.  I'm just going to be cautious about who I recommend this to.

Published by Bloomsbury, 2016
Copy obtained from the library
626 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I think it is actually classified as a New Adult series but it tends to get shelved with YA. I'm glad you liked the book! What did you think about the Inner Circle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a perfect book for YAs and adults that enjoy fantasy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...