Monday, July 3, 2017

Book Review: Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris

Behind Closed Doors, by B. A. Paris book cover and review
Oh my goodness.  Behind Closed Doors wound me so tight, I had to take breaks during my reading (and still read it in one day.)

Jack and Grace have the perfect marriage, the perfect life.  They live in a beautiful house, Grace doesn't have to work outside the house, and they are very happy.  But...all of that is only appearances.

In reality, Jack literally keeps Grace locked in a room as his hostage.  Grace has a sister with Down Syndrome who Jack holds above Grace's head anytime she won't behave.  Because Jack has custody of Grace's sister. How will Grace ever get out of this situation?  Jack is preparing for Grace's sister to come live with them so he can literally torture her, and Grace has to figure something out before it's too late.

The books is told flipping from past to present scenes, which works beautifully to explain how Grace got herself in the predicament.  And eventually, past and present come together for a spectacular ending.

I do have to make one comment that really bothered me.  I was reading an ARC, but it is of the paperback release.  The book is already out in hardback.  And Paris says the sister has "Down's syndrome."  The proper name of this genetic abnormality is "Down Syndrome."  I can't believe someone didn't catch that.

This book made me very tense.  Like I said, I had to take a couple of breaks.  And I did read it in a day (I was on vacation, so that helped.)  Some of the situations were a little contrived.  How Jack was so easily able to convince everyone Grace was emotionally unstable was a bit to easy.  But the end result was a great, suspenseful read. Jack is so diabolical. The way he sets up Grace to try to escape, just so he can punish her is fascinating and horrific.

And the ending was perfect.  No ambiguity here, everything ties up neatly. Highly recommended. I think my older teens will like Behind Closed Doors too.

Published by St. Martin's Griffin, paperback release July 3, 2017
eARC obtained from NetGalley
352 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...