Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Book Review: The Midnight Dance by Nikki Katz

The Midnight Dance by Nikki Katz book cover and review
Have you ever tried to write a review for a book for which you just don't have much, good or bad, to say?  The Midnight Dance is that book.

Penny goes to a school that specializes in ballet.  She is part of twelve elite dancers that have the privilege of attending this prestigious school, compliments of their mysterious Master. They are never allowed to leave and must perform as the Master wishes.

Weird things begin to happen to Penny.  She realizes she is forgetting periods of time.  She starts to have memories that don't mesh with what she has been told was her life.  When she touches the handsome kitchen boy, Cricket, her memories come back, and they are horrific.  She realizes that Master has been manipulating their minds, but how?

She and Cricket are out to discover the truth and figure out a way not only for Penny, but for all of the dancers, to escape.

The Midnight Dance is an enjoyable, creepy read.  However, I never really connected with the characters.  I felt like an observer rather than a participant that was fully invested in the story.  I'm not sure what makes a story resonate with a reader -- I'm not a writer.  This is one that I appreciated while reading, but it won't stick with me for long. The writing is fine; the pacing seemed okay.  I didn't really buy all the technical stuff and the Master's ability to create such a hold on these girls.  There are flashbacks of the Master and his past, which were effective. I just didn't feel the drama or pulse-pounding trepidation that I was supposed to feel.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Midnight Dance to teens.  Others may have a different reaction than I did.

Published by Swoon Reads, October 17, 2017
eARC obtained from NetGalley
320 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Writing a review for a book we don't feel connected to is difficult. I will probably skip this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I like the premise for this one, but it sounds like the execution didn't quite do it justice. I've got this one on my TBR list, but I'm not rushing to get to it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...