Thursday, December 14, 2017

Book Review: The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily by Laura Creedle

The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily by Laura Creedle book cover and review
I loved The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily in so many ways. 

The story is told by Lily, who has ADHD.  She struggles to stay in school, to follow directions, to keep track of papers and things, to keep track of time. She has difficulty following some conversations if things go too fast.  She is dyslexic, so sometimes she can't read fast. She often breaks things. She wants to visit her father in Portland, Oregon, during the summer.  Her mom has told her she must pass all her classes and not skip school in order to do so, but her medication makes her feel different and when she quits taking it, things happen.

She gets in trouble at school for breaking something, and it turns out Abelard was in on it, so they both get detention.  Abelard is high-functioning autistic.  He is very smart but lacks social skills.  He doesn't like to be touched. He loves routine and can't stand it if people aren't punctual.

These two unlikely teens fall in love.  The relationship is rocky, and because of their neurodifferences, unusual situations cause more problems than the usual teen relationship.

I loved that I learned so much about what it might be like to be ADHD.  The author has this condition, so I'm assuming this is pretty accurate, at least for some kids. I loved that the ending is hopeful but very open.  Not a perfect "happily ever after." The pacing is excellent. I couldn't stay away from this book.  It's not that it is action-packed, but it's that enough happens.  But mostly it is Lily and Abelard--and their families, who really wanted what is best for these kids.  No crazy parents in this one.  Both of these teens are really intelligent and well read. The title of the book comes from The Love Letters of Abelard and Heloise, which they have both read and quote a lot in this book.

The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily gave me such warm fuzzies.  I've already recommended this to several people.  One of my favorite books of the year (And a contemporary! Who would have thought!)

Published by HMH BFYR, December 26, 2017
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
352 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. 5 stars means it goes on my TBR list! This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this one before, but it sounds really good. If the author has ADHD, then I'm sure her depiction is very accurate. I'm definitely going to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...