Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Book Review: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Phantom of the Opera is a tragic and exciting tale.

I've seen the musical a couple of times live, as well as the movie, so I have always wanted to read the book. For a classic, it's pretty easy to read and follow.  I'm going to assume you are at least familiar with the basic premise of the story.  (If not, click on the link for a summary.) The beginning goes much like the story in the musical, but after Christine is taken by the Phantom (although he is never called that in the book), it is much more exciting!

There is an additional character, the Persian, not in the musical, who along with Raoul are tortured and barely escape with their lives! We also learn about the Phantom's past, which helps explain why he is so evil. The reader is asked to have sympathy for him, but it is difficult, given what he put everyone through.

I'm glad I read the story, but I wouldn't read it again.  If you are a true fan, it's a must-read. If you enjoy macabre classics, this is a good one.

Published by Pierre Laie (originally), in 1910 (in English in 1911.)
eBook obtained from Serial Reader
270 pages

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I read this book last year, and I got bored with it. It was okay, but not something I’d read again. I’ve heard the musical is good, though. I’ve never seen it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I have ever read or seen Phantom; what an embarrassing thing to admit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this a number of years ago and enjoyed it. The play is great, too -- I've seen it a couple times and loved each performance :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...