Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Book Review: Anne of Green Gables, by L. M. Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery book cover and review
What an absolute delight Anne of Green Gables is.  I had thought I read this book when I was young, but now I don't think so. (I'm sure I would have remembered it.)

You would think a novel that was written over 100 years ago would be wordy and difficult and, well, boring.  But Anne stole my heart.

Anne is a spunky, smart, orphan who ends up at Green Gables, the home of Marilla and Matthew, by mistake.  They wanted a boy to help with the farm. Somehow the message got bungled, and they didn't have the heart to send her back.

Marilla and Matthew are siblings (I didn't realize that until after I finished the book!) Anne gives them a run for their money.  She's terribly talkative, and her imagination is so present all the time, that she often forgets what she's supposed to be doing. But her imaginative descriptions of her surroundings is part of what makes Anne of Green Gables special.

Anne is also very smart, and her competitions with Gilbert, the smartest kid in the class as well as Anne's arch enemy, is delightful. I loved how Anne slowly digs a place in Marilla's heart since it is very difficult for Marilla to show any emotion. Matthew, on the other hand, doesn't mind spoiling Anne a bit. Anne grows up in Anne of Green Gables, but I know there are more books in this series and I just might have to continue on to see what's in store for her.

For a classic, I'm surprised.  I think some of the reading is a bit difficult, but I would still recommend this book to young girls.  I think they will enjoy Anne as much as I did.

Published by L. C. Page, 1908
eBook obtained from Serial Reader
198 pages

Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2018 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I assume I've read this book, but maybe I haven't. I know I've seen the movie or the mini-series and I enjoyed it. You know, you can do biking tours of the island where it is set in Canada.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...