Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Book Review: Fragments, by Dan Wells @TheDanWells

Whew! I felt like I was holding my breath through much of Fragments. I found the world and the characters just as captivating as in the first book, Partials

Where do I begin? Kira -- she's trying to stay away from Dr. Morgan, and trying to find a cure for RM, as well as the expiration date for the partials. She wants to save everyone, and this will cause her many problems. She leaves New York and ends up on an epic quest across the desolate country with some unlikely companions.

Meanwhile, Dr. Morgan is raising hell in New York trying to find Kira. Marcus is in New York trying to fight off the partials under Dr. Morgan's control. All the characters from Partials make an appearance: Haru, Isolde, Nandita, Ariel, and Xochi. And there's a beloved new character, Afa, whose quirks seemed really authentic to me, given the current status of this world.

So many secrets are uncovered about the partials, ParaGen, and the government that it's almost hard to keep track. The hardships that Kira and her crew face are unbelievably harrowing. I just cannot imagine suffering through what they did.

Just a note for you romance freaks -- you will be disappointed with that aspect -- not much happens. But a little bit -- that will need to be sorted out in the next book.

I can't really say more about the plot -- because it's just that good and you need to experience it first hand. Fragments is again, a very long book just like Partials, but I couldn't believe how fast my left had was holding a thickening stack of pages. There's no shortage of pace. I did think we visited the "other groups" (besides Kira's) a little too seldom. Kira's story was at the forefront, and when I was pulled from that point of view, I sometimes felt it took a while to remember what was going on in the new POV.

The ending of Fragments is unpleasant because I'm sure Mr. Wells isn't nearly ready to give us the next installment. And, ughhh, NOW what's going to happen. It doesn't seem like anything good, but I hope I'm wrong. Surely I'm wrong!!!

For fans of Partials, of course Fragments is a must read! And, for fans of apocalyptic/sci fi stories -- you need to get started on Partials so you can read Fragments. On your mark, get set....GO!

Published by Balzer + Bray, February 26, 2013
ARC obtained from Around the World ARC Tours
564  pages

Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read Partials, but I haven't yet. Shame on me! I love your enthusiasm for this book. I really need to start on these books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Partials SO much, and am thrilled to hear that book two is just as captivating. I am planning to read my ARC this weekend and I can't wait! I'm a bit nervous about the ending though. I have a feeling I'm going to be in cliffy pain until book three. Wonderful review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Partials, I actually returned it.. Shame on me! I really am regretting that now, everyone seems to love it! Glad to hear you liked this! Awesome review, thanks for keeping it mostly free of spoilers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...