Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Book Review: Need, by Joelle Charbonneau

Need, by Joelle Charbonneau book cover and review
It's too bad Need has such a silly premise, because the writing is good and the story is actually pretty tense at times.

Kaylee Dunham wants nothing more than to get a new kidney for her brother. As a matter of fact, she's gone to great lengths and lost a lot of friends trying to get her classmates to get tested to see if they are compatible. So when she finds out about a new social networking site called Need, she thinks it is too good to be true, but she has to give it a try.

The site is open only to Kaylee's high school, and soon everyone is a member. You ask for something you need or want, and the site gives you a task to complete in order to fulfill your wish. Things quickly get out of hand, and even though the tasks seem harmless, people are soon dying. And wishes are coming true.

The stakes get higher and higher, and soon Kaylee wants to get out but can't. She tries going to the authorities but they don't believe her.

Like I said, this premise just had me rolling my eyes. And the ending was just way too unbelievable. Charbonneau can write -- I really enjoyed The Testing series, but this one I almost had to put down. I actually did put it down but then came back to finish it later.

I have mixed feelings about recommending this. It's exciting and an easy read. It's just so stupid. But maybe teens won't be bothered by that as much as I am.

Published by HMH BFYR, November 3, 2015
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
352 pages

Rating: 2.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I thought this had a current relevance about the importance of internet safety, but I totally agree with the silly premise. I did order it for my library because The Testing series was pretty popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have more staying power than me, I gave up on it after about a third. I can see the relevance for today's kids though, so I'm sure we'll order it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...