Monday, July 25, 2016

Book Review: Three Truths and a Lie by Brent Hartinger

Three Truths and a Lie by Brent Hartinger book cover and review
Wow.  It's been so long since I've written a review I almost forgot what to do...

Three Truths and a Lie is touted as a psychological thriller.  For me it was a twisted story, but I failed to get the heart pounding thrill that I was after.

Two couples decide to spend the weekend in a remote family cabin deep in the woods. Rob is excited. It will be a chance for he and his boyfriend Liam to get to know each other, and for Rob to understand the long friendship between Liam and Mia. Mia has a relatively new boyfriend, Galen, who Rob isn't to comfortable with.

Weird things begin to happen. Their satellite phone disappears, the outhouse gets destroyed, someone sets a fire in the burn pit. Galen tries to take charge and neither Liam or Rob trust him.

So who is sabotaging their weekend and why? Is it the neighbor who hates Mia's family for buying up the land? This seed is planted early, but never really takes hold. I don't think it's a spoiler to say this is obviously an "inside job." But which one of them?

I enjoyed the reading experience, but I gotta say, I forgot about Three Truths and a Lie quickly. I didn't get the tense feeling at all. I was surprised by the huge twist at the end, but really didn't think it "made" the book. I do think teens will enjoy Three Truths and a Lie more that I did.

Published by Simon Pulse, August 2, 2016
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
272 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2016 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. Hey, welcome back to blogging. Have you been having too much fun vacationing or being a grandma? At any rate, I think I will skip this book. Too many others calling my name to spend time on a book which garnered a "meh" from you. Happy Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandbaby, yes! But mostly building a house. My son is building it for us, and I've been working all summer helping him. No time or energy to read. I'll be posting some house photos soon. Should be moving in later this week! Happy summer to you too!

      Delete
  2. When you pick up a psychological thriller, you should at least feel thrilled. Too bad this one didn't quite pan out the way you had hoped.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...