Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thank goodness for another book . . .

I just didn't see the point of Spanking Shakespeare.  I did finish it, although it was touch-and-go for a while.  I know it was supposed to be funny, but I didn't get the whole "misfit" scenario.  I don't think Shakespeare WAS a misfit.  I think the things he felt were the same things 80 percent of 16-year-old boys feel.  I agree with what his therapist said, "It sounds to me that you like to portray yourself as the victim of crazy parents, unsympathetic peers, and unlucky circumstances, because you are afraid to admit that your unhappiness might be your own doing."   I just didn't sympathize with him.  I also thought the constant discussions of masturbating and trying to find someone to have sex with were overdone.  I didn't see the humor and really didn't get the point of the story.  I've never not purchased a book for my library that was nominated for the Abraham Lincoln High School Book Award, but I'm not going to purchase this one.

I'm going to start Paul Volponi's Rucker Park Setup.  I've read several of his books and enjoyed them all.  I believe his books have a great message and are very appealing to teen readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...