Thursday, February 13, 2014

Book Review: Insanity, by Susan Vaught

I don't usually read book descriptions. As I was reading Insanity, I kept thinking, "this is almost like three separate stories." Well, here's what the amazon.com description says:

"In three connected stories all set in the same mental institution in rural Kentucky, ghosts of a very spooky sort make appearances in dark tunnels, abandoned bell towers and forgotten corners of the basements. Based on real local lore and the actual institution headed by Vaught herself."

Well, now that I know that's what it was supposed to be, I guess I have to reevaluate my opinion.

All of the stories take place in the same, very creepy mental institution. The stories have the same characters, but each is narrated by a different one. And each character has different magical powers. In each story, the danger builds to a crescendo, and then there's a big showdown among the evil spirits and our good guy characters, and there's a victory. Then we start all over from another perspective to battle a different demon.

If you like creepy, scary, disturbing ghost stories, Insanity is for you. Vaught can write scary scenes with some really nasty demons. Each situation is unique, and a different magical trick is pulled out of the hat to prevail.

As far as characters, well, we get to know them, but they aren't normal. I felt some sympathy for them and cared about their well-being. There's a little romance that helps too.

I just wasn't prepared for this type of story. I kept thinking, "well, this is the end right? But, I'm only 25% through the book!" I don't know what to do about this book dilemma. I wish there had been a blurb on the cover or something in the contents to indicate it was SUPPOSED to be three separate stories. Because, I really like to stay away from book descriptions. They often give way too much away. How do you feel about reading book blurbs? Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Recommend Insanity to your teens who like to feel the creeps!

Published by Bloomsbury USA Childrens, February 18, 2014
eBook obtained from NetGalley
384 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...