Wednesday, August 27, 2014

DNF Book Review: A New Darkness by Joseph Delaney

I gave A New Darkness a good chance, but after reading 45% of the book, I was ready for the story to start, and it still had not.

Tom Ward is the main character, and I understand this is a character from Delaney's The Last Apprentice series. I haven't read those books, but everything I've read says it isn't necessary in order to enjoy A New Darkness.

Tom, a Spook, hunts ghosts and boggarts and other evil creatures and keeps the world (or at least his county) safe. A girl name Jenny convinces Tom to take her on as an apprentice, since she is a 7th daughter of a 7th daughter. It isn't customary for girls to be a Spook, but Tom agrees to give her a chance.

The first half of the book that I read isn't boring. There are some dangerous situations, and we get to know Jenny pretty well. But after reading that much, I think the main plot should be moving along a bit more. It seems the story is supposed to be about these evil creatures from the north called the Kobalos are taking over. Some young girls have disappeared and Tom and Jenny encounter one of the Kobalos mages and have quite a dangerous and almost deadly encounter.

Tom enlists the help of Grimalkin, who I understand is also a character from the previous series, to help figure out what's going on.

That's it. The rest is all background and character development. I also understand this book ends in a big cliffhanger, so obviously it must get more exciting at the end. But I just couldn't wait. You have to grab me and keep my attention better than Delaney did in the first half of A New Darkness. Please feel free to link your more positive reviews in the comments.

Published by Greenwillow Books, September 2, 2014
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
155 (of 352) pages

Rating: DNF




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...