Thursday, September 3, 2015

Book Review: Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith

Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith book cover and review
I didn't really get into the entire premise behind Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between. However, Smith's writing and characters, as usual, kept my interest.

Clare and Aidan are leaving for college on opposite sides of the country, and the entire book takes place on the last night before they leave. They've been together for two years. Clare thinks they should break up because long distance relationship are too hard, and they need to experience college on their own.  Aidan isn't so sure.

Clare has made a list of places to go and things to do on their last night, so they start off with that.  The evening doesn't go smoothly. They meet some friends who have their own things going on. I picked up on Stella's issue early on. They stray from the list after an encounter with Aidan's father.

These characters are interesting and Smith's style is so easy to fall into. I read Hello, Goodbye and Everything in Between in a matter of hours.

I just didn't think this issue was worth all the fuss. Not that it matters what Smith writes about -- I'll read it. But this was kind of lame. Or I'm too old. I would have just said, "Try it out and see what happens. You can always break up later." Seems so practical to me, and I didn't understand why someone didn't say that. Yes, they explained why they didn't want to do that, but it's a lame excuse. You can still go out with friends and have a lot of fun when you are away at school even if you have a boyfriend.

I also wasn't a fan of the ending. The wrap up was very quick and in an epilogue. Not enough for me. So, Hello, Goodbye and Everything in Between isn't my favorite Jennifer E. Smith book, but I'm not going to stop reading and recommending her books to all my high school kids.

Published by Poppy, September 1, 2015
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
247 pages

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...