Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Book Review: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Fracture by Megan Miranda book cover and review
The plot of Fracture was intriguing but I had a hard time feeling some of the emotions of the characters.

Delaney falls through the lake and her best friend and neighbor, Decker, pulls her out. She is underwater for eleven minutes and should be dead but she wakes up from a coma several days later and appears to be normal.

She goes home and tries to resume her life, but every once in a while she feels an itching in her brain and feels compelled to follow wherever her brain takes her. She's drawn to people who will soon die. And a mysterious boy, Troy, is always there because apparently the same thing has happened to him.

The plot through the book as Delaney works out what is going on is compelling. She is drawn to Troy, but also doesn't agree with his actions. Her relationship with Decker and her parents is all over the map. And that's where I had some problems with the narrative. There would be conversations among the characters, whether it was Delaney and her mom, or with Troy or Decker, and they would get angry. And sometimes the anger didn't make sense to me. Or they would be angry and then not, and it didn't make sense. I just couldn't understand the situation enough to totally buy into the emotions. I really didn't understand Delaney's mother at all. There were bits and pieces about her issues, but not enough for me to understand her reactions towards Delaney.

So, I think the premise is awesome. Plot is done very well. Characters and their reactions sometimes were confusing to me. I read this for my teen book club which meets today. I'm anxious to see what they thought.

Published by Walker Children's, 2012
Copy obtained from the library
262 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...