Thursday, March 2, 2017

Book Revew: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne book cover and review
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is not the typical, long, descriptive classic that I have come to expect.  It's thrilling!

I probably don't need to tell you much about the plot.  Our narrator, Professor Aronnax and his two companions are trapped on board the Nautilus with its mysterious Captain Nemo and his crew.  Since they have discovered this unusual and magnificent submarine, they must spend the rest of their lives on it so no one else will find out.

There are many descriptions of the flora and fauna at the bottom of the sea, but most of the story is one adventure after another.  Some life threatening, some exceedingly unusual. I felt Aronnax's turmoil as he tried to enjoy all the knowledge and wonder the trip entailed while dealing with his captive state.

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is a comparatively short book for a classic also. I read this using my Serial Reader app, and there were only 47 issues (unlike my previous read, Anna Karenina, which had 159 issues.)

I would recommend Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea to anyone who enjoys a science fiction adventure.

eBook obtained from Serial Reader
336 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. It's not good, but whenever I see the name of a classic book, I feel that I won't like it. Not a good attitude. I'm glad you liked this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way! Who wants to waste time with those boring classics.... But Serial Reader has got me hooked. I can spend 10-15 minutes a day, and I don't feel any pressure to finish by a certain time.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I read a lot of Jules Verne’s work when I was a preteen. This book wasn’t my favorite, but for a classic, it’s very readable.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...