Thursday, February 1, 2018

Audio Book Review: Morning Star by Pierce Brown

Morning Star by Pierce Brown book cover and review
Morning Star is the third book in the Red Rising Trilogy and will whip your emotions around like a tornado.

This review may have spoilers from the previous books, Red Rising and Golden Son, so proceed with caution...

Darrow is a captive at the beginning of Morning Star. But we know he's been in many, many hopeless positions before, so somehow he's going to get out of this one. And he does.

If you read my reviews of Red Rising and Golden Son, then you will recognize some of the same statements in this review.  This is a war book.  There are battles and more battles.  Characters get killed. There is never a respite.  So many betrayals and surprises.

Along with the battles are epic twists and turns. There is never a dull moment.  As I have said about all three of these books, they are bit long and drawn out.  I actually finished this one by reading the ending (rather than listening) because I was getting tired of waiting. There is a lot of brutality and suffering. And, there are so many characters.  It had been so long since I read Golden Son. I had a hard time getting my bearings since Brown doesn't really give you much of a review.

I don't think these books are Young Adult, as I have been saying in my previous reviews.  The world is very complex.  There is nothing to keep teens from enjoying this series, but it's going to take more of a commitment than they are used to.

Morning Star is supposed to be the conclusion.  It even says that on the back of my copy.  But there is a new 4th book that was released January 16 called Iron Gold. Now that the war is over, Iron Gold is about the rebuilding.

The narrator, Tim Gerard Reynolds, does a great job.  He sounds a bit like like Anthony Hopkins. I'll quote from my review of Golden Son: Those who enjoy adventure, fearsome battles, and fantastical worlds and creatures will not want to miss the Red Rising Trilogy.

Published by Del Rey, 2016, audio by Recorded Books, 2016
Audiobook obtained from the library
518 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2018 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...