Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Audio Book Review: Red Hook Road, by Ayelet Waldman

Red Hook Road by Ayalet Waldman book cover and review
 I wasn't supposed to like Red Hook Road. But I did.

Red Hook Road begins with a tragedy.  Becca and John are killed in an accident on Red Hook Road just hours after they are married.  For the rest of the book, both families are trying to come to terms with their grief. Does that sound like a good book?

After the beginning, when I realized what this book was going to be about, I almost gave up.  But I'm more patient with audiobooks, and the writing was really great. I was caught up in these people's lives.  I could see the beautiful coastal village in Maine. The details are what kept me involved.

Red Hook Road isn't an action book, although there is a bit of suspense at the end.  It's a study of the characters and their interactions with each other--how they helped each other through.  And in some cases, how this tragedy divided them. Of course, it was sad at times, but there is a good balance of uplifting scenes too.

Like I said, this isn't my "type" of book.  But I love stretching my wings and finding something that I really enjoy, even if out of my comfort zone. Pick up Red Hook Road if you like atmospheric stories of family and love. I would highly recommend the audio version. Kimberly Farr does a great job.

Published by Doubleday, 2010, Random House Audio.
Audiobook obtained from the library
352 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2018 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I love it when you read a book that you figure won't really be your "thing" and you get a surprise. So much better than the reverse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds sad, but worth the read. I don't mind character-driven novels that don't have a lot of action as long as they're well written and it sounds like this one is. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...