Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Book Review: Elevation by Stephen King

Elevation by Stephen King book cover and review
I didn’t realize that Elevation was a novella which normally I avoid.  But I’ve always said I’ll read anything Stephen King writes, and Elevation is no exception.  The man could write about paint drying and make it interesting.


Scott is losing weight at a rapid pace. But he doesn’t look like it. He still has a gut hanging over his pants. And it doesn’t matter how much he eats, he still loses weight. The other thing is that it doesn’t matter what he’s carrying or what is in his pocket — his weight is still the same.


He tells this to his retired doctor friend, but they are both stumped. Scott feels great, and seems to have boundless energy. He is happy and not stressed about his situation. He uses his time to try and mend fences with his neighbors, who are lesbians. They own a local restaurant which isn’t doing well. Probably because they are lesbians. So Scott makes it his mission to break through the chip that one of the women has on her shoulder and help them make a success of the restaurant.


This is really a story about friendship and making connections. About giving people a chance to be what they are and be happy. Ironically, Scott’s disease serves to bring out the best in his small circle of friends.


Elevation is a quick, feel-good read that will warm your heart and give you hope. Give it a try if you have a couple of hours. After all, it is Stephen King.

Published by Scribner, October 30, 2018
eBook obtained from the library
160 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2018 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. I’m glad you liked it! I’ll probably pick up a copy next time I’m near a bookstore. I’m happy it’s a novella because King books are usually too long for me. Still, I want to read all of them someday.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so not scary. Are we sure it's Stephen King?! I haven't read a novella in years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought it on release day and until your post had no idea it was a novella. Doesn't matter, it'll be read with love! Sounds like I have something to look forward to, but I wouldn't expect anything less. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised Stephen King brought would put out such a hopeful book. I just saw this in the library. No wonder it was so small, it's a novella. I'm curious to see what this weird disease Scott has and if he'll last.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...