Monday, January 28, 2019

Book Review: Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell, book cover and review
I ended up loving Then She Was Gone, even after having my doubts at the beginning of the story.

It's been ten years since Laurel's daughter, Ellie, disappeared. And she's still trying to put her life back together. The disappearance caused a divorce from her husband, who seems to be doing fine with his new love. Her other two children have grown distant. Laurel just needs closure.

And she gets it. Finally, remains of her daughter are found, and they are able to put her to rest. Soon after, a chance meeting of a handsome, friendly man in a coffee shop changes her life. She finds herself unusually attracted to Floyd. He reminds her so much of her husband in many ways. He actually lives in her neighborhood. And she is stunned when she meets his 9-year-old daughter, Poppy, who looks so much like her Ellie. As their relationship progresses, so does Laurel's unease about Floyd, but she won't accept her feelings, because he is such a wonderful man and she's becoming very attached to Poppy.

It starts when she finds out there is a relationship between Poppy's mother (who has disappeared) and Ellie. I won't say much more about it.

At the beginning, I was kind of disappointed because the reader feels he or she knows what has happened to Ellie.  Well, not exactly, and that's what kept me reading. And I had strong suspicions about Poppy. But, the details aren't really known until the very end. Finding out about all of those details kept me enthralled.

The reader is sucked into the story, and we get flashbacks from Ellie, which add to the tension. Each part is from a different character's perspective, and one of them is Floyd, which I think was my favorite.

Very well done, Ms. Jewell. If you like contemporary thrillers with mystery and lots of intrigue, you will certainly enjoy Then She Was Gone. There is a reason the wait list for this book at the library is so long!

Published by Atria, 2018
eBook FREE from the publisher
359 pages

Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2019 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

  1. I read a book by Jewel and enjoyed it. I have also heard the big buzz about this one. I have been leery considering I have been burned quite a few times by hyped books but maybe I will reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good thriller to add to my list! Thank you for luring me into wanting this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing this one all over the place. It's on my TBR list, but maybe I'll have to bump it to the top if it's this good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this book blew me away. probably one of my favorites so far this year. (not that its been that many) I do agree. I felt soemthing up with poppy too. I had some of it figured out and was wrong on some of the other details. so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a real page turner. I love books like that, where you think you know what's happening and then unexpected twists occur.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...