Monday, March 4, 2019

Audiobook Review: This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel

This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel book cover and review
This is How it Always Is is a thought-provoking, beautifully written story about a transgender child and the family surrounding her.

Frankel does  a good job setting the stage for the family dynamics and their background before the birth of their fifth child, Claude, who joined four brothers. At the age of three, Claude told his parents that when he grows up he wants to be a girl.

Claude always prefers wearing dresses and other trappings of little girls, including fairy wings. When Claude starts school, he tries to fit in as a boy, but every day when he gets home, he changes into his preferred clothes. His parents are very supportive -- maybe too supportive. When things get difficult, they move to Seattle, uprooting the entire family for the sake of Claude. In Seattle, they keep a secret. Claude becomes Poppy, and everyone is happy except for Poppy's older brother who was torn from a school and activities and friends that he loved. He never recovered.

But of course, things get complicated as Poppy grows up, and no matter how supportive you are, as parents you realize life is not going to be easy for Poppy.

The language is descriptive and the characterizations make you feel like these people are your neighbors. The pacing is on the slow side, but the narrator helped make that okay. I really enjoyed the audio version, and as I often say, I'm not sure I would have persevered if I were reading the print copy. But maybe I would have.  Because I really liked the way This is How it Always Is is written. Apparently Frankel writes from personal experience, and it shows.

Anyway, I'm going to recommend this to a bunch of people. I have a lot of teacher/social worker/counselor/psychologist friends that will enjoy it. Not that I think those are the only people that would. This is How it Always Is will make you think about these people and their place in society like never before. I love a book that makes you think.

Published by Flatiron, 2017, Macmillan Audio
Audiobook obtained from the library
336 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2019 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was really well done and gave it to a friend whose young child (age 4) is transitioning. She said it was spot on for what it's been like for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure I liked the book until they got to Thailand, then I was all in. I met Laurie Frankel last year and she is amazing person.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...