Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Book Review: The Raven's Tale by Cat Winters @catwinters

The Raven's Tale by Cat Winters book cover and review
I thoroughly enjoyed Winters’ delightfully macabre tale of the life of Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven’s Tale.

Poe had a difficult upbringing. His mother, an actress, died when Poe was very young, and he was taken in by the Allans. His new mother always loved him, but life with his father became very difficult. The more Poe became interested in writing, the more his father tried to dissuade him. Poe was accepted into the University of Virginia, but because he wouldn’t give up his writing, his father threatened to not allow him to attend, and in the end, made Poe’s short stay at the University almost impossible.

Winters writes the story as if it were written by Poe. She ads a character that is Edgar’s muse, a creepy woman Edgar names Lenore, who he can’t live without. She begins to grow feathers and is evolving into a raven. 😉 His father goes so far as to try to kill her. During his tenure at the University Poe has another muse vying for his attention, a man who wants Poe to stop writing the scary stories about death and write something that would make a name for him.

It is interesting how when Lenore is around, lines from Poe’s poetry pop into his head. Makes you wonder if this is really how it happened?? The tale is deftly told and kept my interest, and I felt such compassion for Edgar and his troubled life. I haven’t even talked about his doomed love life, which is also a large part of this sad story.

Those who are interested in Poe’s life can’t go wrong with The Raven’s Tale. As you probably are aware, Poe did come to know success and some happiness eventually. Winters adds a helpful Author’s Note that adds to the information given in the book. There’s a bibliography for further reading, as well as copious notes about where every line of poetry in the book came from. Some is written by Winters herself, in the style of Poe, which is excellent. I've read all of Winters' novels and am always impressed. She's a "must read" author for me. The Raven’s Tale would be an excellent addition to any curriculum examining the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

Published by Amulet, April 16, 2019
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
368 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2019 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, this sounds intriguing and I LOVE the cover. How creepy-cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So intriguing! I saw where Poe's dorm room was when I visited UVA, which was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am adding this to my TBR. I have enjoyed all of Winters books I've read so far and this one sounds better than those. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much! I, personally, struggled a lot with this book. I found it boring and repetitive. It was cool finding the nods and references to his work. I guess I was hoping for more adult Poe instead of a whiny teen Poe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...