Thursday, May 30, 2019

Book Review: The Friends We Keep, by Jane Green

The Friends We Keep by Jane Green book cover and review
The Friends We Keep didn't go in the direction that I anticipated, and that made it an enjoyable read. This is not my usual genre, but it had been a long time since I had read a contemporary, and even longer since I had read Jane Green, so it was a welcome change of pace.

Maggie, Evvie, and Topher end up roommates at college in England.  I think the opening chapter, the only one from Ben's POV, had me going in a certain direction for the plot. He only refers to "my wife," so you don't really know which of our three main characters to which that refers.

We get points-of-view from each of the three as they navigate their lives during (beginning in 1986) and after college, ending in 2019.  They grow up, they grow apart. They follow their dreams, they make mistakes. They have (big) secrets. They end up reuniting.

I enjoyed their journeys. Each character was relatable. I guess my minor complaint is some repetitiveness--mostly about the winey "woe is me" situations they find themselves in.

I did want them to end up together and happy. Ultimately, The Friends We Keep is a feel-good, happily ever after story. But there is a rocky road to travel until they get there, and the journey is entertaining. A good summer "fluff" read that explores the meaning of friendship. Appropriate for teen readers, Green fans will definitely want to pick this up.

Published by Berkley, June 4, 2019
eARC obtained from NetGalley
384 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2019 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. I'm starting to get in the mood for light summer reads as well. It's that time of year....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...