Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Book Review: The Escape Room by Megan Goldin

Oh man, The Escape Room was a great thriller that tied me up in knots.

Our narrator is Sara, a struggling recent college graduate desperate to get a job in the lucrative world of corporate banking. She meets a man, Vincent, in an elevator, and all her dreams come true.

We hear Sara's story from the past, as she learns the ropes working with Vincent and a team of three other people. They aren't nice. But Sara works hard and is indoctrinated into this very decadent, cutthroat world.

The second point-of-view is from the present, and the four team members (without Sara) are asked to participate in an escape room scenario on an elevator. Participation is not optional (it never is when it comes to their company.) They soon realize that this is no ordinary escape room game. The stakes are high -- life and death.

As they are slowly given clues and try to survive under the harshest of circumstances, the reader is drawn into their dilemma. Even though these characters aren't very likable, surely they don't deserve this? Or maybe they do...

I loved the way The Escape Room was written. I didn't really figure anything out until close to the end. Sara's story is compelling, as we see her slowly realize the sacrifices she must make in order to keep her job and her lifestyle. And the sacrifices are huge.

The banking industry is painted in a pretty awful light, and I have no way of knowing how accurate that description is. But it is fascinating.

If I have one complaint, it was a bit too much repetition at times, I guess for dramatic effect.  An example is how many times one character's scars were mentioned. Really a minor complaint that didn't affect my enjoyment.

I loved The Escape Room and will be recommending it to all of my family and friends!

Published by St. Martin's, July 30, 2019
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
368 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2019 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. 5 out of 5? I am definitely adding this to my TBR list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...