Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Audiobook review: Becoming, by Michelle Obama

Becoming by Michelle Obama, book cover and review
I adored Becoming by Michelle Obama. Whether you are a fan or not, it is a fascinating portrayal of an unusual life.

For some reason, I'm always interested in stories of what it is like to be president and live in The White House. I got some additional information from Becoming.

Michelle Obama's life began on the south side of Chicago, with a loving family who encouraged her to be the best she could be. Being black and from the south side didn't offer as many opportunities as other people had. But she was driven to excel from a young age. And, of course, we all know how this story ends.

I really enjoyed hearing about her childhood and how she met and fell in love with Barack.  As I read her description of him, I realized that this man was destined to be president--whether he knew it or not. I loved hearing about having children and trying to raise them as she was raised. Throughout much of the book, we hear how she dealt with her fairly deep hatred of politics and how she never wanted Barack to be president. But, of course, in the end, she was devoted to him and had to help him reach for his dreams.

The stories about The White House and how their lives changed with all the protections they had to endure and their limited ability to move freely in society were my favorite parts. I enjoyed hearing about her struggles to become the First Lady she wanted to be and how her initiatives were accomplished. I guess if I have one criticism of the narrative, it would be that, especially towards the end, she talks too much about Barack's presidency and statistics and details about what he accomplished and how. I just wanted more stories about life in The White House. But it is a small niggle that really didn't change my opinion of the book.

Michelle narrates the audiobook, which made it even better. We all know her voice, and it was soothing and easy to listen to. I did not speed this one up, as I often do. I wanted to hear her tell her story as she intended.

I'm sure Becoming will appeal more to those with similar political beliefs, but I still think this book can be recommended to anyone who is interested in any sort of political or rags-to-riches stories. Becoming is such a positive, hopeful book that I think we all can take something from it.

Published by Crown, 2018, Random House Audio
Audiobook obtained from the library (after a very long wait!)
448 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2019 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was a wonderful book as well. It's full of interesting stories and insights.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...