Thursday, December 5, 2019

Book Review: Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd, by Alan Bradley

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I had skipped a Flavie de Luce Mystery! This title, Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd, comes before The Grave's a Fine and Private Place, which I reviewed at the beginning of 2018. Once I discovered this, I hurried to read.

Flavia finds another dead body (of course) hanging upside down from a contraption on his bedroom door. The situation doesn't matter. Suffice it to say, Flavia is relentless in her pursuit of the murderer. Her father is ill and in the hospital, so we don't hear from him in this story.

It took me a while to get into the book. I think because some of the quirky banter between the sisters and the discussion of bizarre chemistry that Flavia is known for was missing. It picked up, and soon I was again captivated by the character, the crazy sleuthing, and the eventual solution to the mystery. Dogger, as usual, brings some interest to the story.

I don't have much unique to say about Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd. It is a Flavia story. If you aren't familiar, you should begin at the beginning with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.  If you are a historical mystery fan in a Brittish setting and enjoy a bit of scientific sleuthing, Flavia is your girl!

Published by Thorndike, 2016
eBook obtained from the library
413 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2019 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a mystery, but so much more. I haven't read any of them before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...