Monday, July 6, 2020

Book Review: The Dilemma, by B. A. Paris

The Dilemma by B. A. Paris book cover and review
The Dilemma is the third novel by Paris that I have read, and while it is different than the previous books, it still sucked me in.

I'm going to be pretty vague about this story because I think it is required. Livia has been preparing for her 40th birthday party for most of her adult life. She was robbed of the fairytale wedding she desired, so this party will make up for it.

The only problem is that her daughter, Marnie, will not be able to travel home for the party. But Livia knows something about Marnie that will devastate her husband, so she's secretly glad Marnie isn't coming home.

Meanwhile, her husband, Adam, has pulled strings and made it possible for Marnie to attend. He's so excited about surprising Livia. But as the party approaches, he knows something that he should tell Livia, but he doesn't want to ruin the party, and besides, he isn't sure about his information.

So they both know something horrible about their daughter. Is it the same thing? Should they tell each other? When? So that is The Dilemma.

There isn't a huge amount of tension, like Paris' other books, but the reader can just see this huge trainwreck coming. And you want to see how it's going to come about and who the casualties will be.

I thought it was weird that this woman was so obsessed with having this huge party for herself. I guess I just don't have that attention-seeking personality. Because Livia was really something when it came to this party.

I cared about these characters and wished there was some way to make it all go away. Nicely told from multiple perspectives, The Dilemma will keep you turning pages.

Published by St. Martin's, June 30, 2020
eARC obtained from NetGalley
352 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2019 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Annette, you liked this a lot more than me. I was so disappointed as I've enjoyed other books by this author. I do know and attention seeker like this so yes, they are out there. I've always preferred to avoid center stage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get the need for a huge party to celebrate me, either. This sounds good and I already want to know the secret about their daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...