Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Book Review: The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood

The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood book cover and review
Like The Handmaid's Tale, The Heart Goes Last is another creative and thought-provoking dystopian by Atwood.

Because of some non-descript economic collapse, Charmaine and Stan have lost everything and are now living in their car. When they get the opportunity to join The Positron Project. a town where everyone has a home, a job, and security. The tradeoff is that every other month they must serve as inmates in the Positron Prison. So while they are in prison, another couple is living in their home and working their civilian jobs. And you can never leave the town.

It all seems great -- until things fall apart. Charmaine has an affair with the man who lives in her house when she is in prison. But it's more than that. The affair is a setup, and secrets about Positron are revealed. Stan's life is in danger and Charmaine can't do anything to help him. Or can she?

I found The Heart Goes Last to be intriguing, but I got bored after a while. I thought it just dragged on a bit. I always wonder if this is because I stopped reading for a while, so it took me a long time to finish. Or maybe I stopped reading because I was bored with the book? Chicken, or egg?

Anyway, I was satisfied with the ending. The Heart Goes Last was mostly compelling and a bit disturbing. I still think it is worth a read if you enjoy these types of books.

Published by Bloomsbury, 2015
Copy obtained from my collection
382 pages

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2023 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Too bad this didn't have the usual Atwood flair since the premise sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read a dystopian novel and though I liked it, I thought that maybe I should avoid this genre for a while because our world is seeming pretty dystopian right now. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...