Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Book Review: The Naturals, by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

If you like teen crime novels, you won't want to miss The Naturals.

I love reading about teens in the unlikely position of working for the CIA or the FBI. I know the situations are always contrived, but I like the different ways these kids end up in their positions, and The Naturals is somewhat unique in that respect.

Our main character, Cassie, is sought out by the FBI because she's a natural. They have discovered that she is a natural profiler. She has the ability to look at people and tell all about them (reminds me of Sherlock Holmes!) Something that FBI agents train for years to do is an ability that Cassie was born with.

So they recruit her to live and train in a house with other kids that have abilities similar to hers. There is another profiler, another teen who can tell if you are lying, one who can read feelings, and one who is a genius with numbers and statistics. A couple of them are male, so that adds some romance to the story.

These teens are training to work on cold cases involving serial killers, but of course they get involved in an ongoing investigation. Cassie has some added intrigue because her mother was brutally murdered several years ago, and the case hasn't been solved.

The Naturals is a very quick read, great for reluctant readers or younger teens. Some of the plot points are a bit contrived, but in this type of story all is forgiven. The Naturals is fun and pushes a variety of buttons - tension, romance, mystery, and adventure. I was surprised at the resolution of the mystery -- I didn't see that coming -- which makes it even better.

Published by Miramax, November 5, 2013
eBook obtained from NetGalley
320 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I am so excited to read this book. I love books about teens in the FBI or help in solving crime. I also love profiling. Sounds so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good, Annette! I've read JLB's Raised by Wolves series and loved it. I was curious about The Naturals but worried I might be let down, you know? It looks like it's fun and something I could share with my girls. Cassie sounds like a wonderful heroine. And I wouldn't mind being a 'natural' - some of the abilities would be quite handy! ;) Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...