Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Book Review: Raging Star, by Moira Young @Moira_Young

Raging Star is a stunning conclusion to the Dust Lands Series. I've had nothing but praise for this entire series, and I loved the finale.

Saba and her ragtag crew are desperate to save the people of New Eden and put DeMalo out of business. DeMalo has given Saba an ultimatum -- join him as his wife and he'll spare the rest of her crew. Because there will be death if they keep at it.

The details really aren't important. You can read the summary here. Suffice it to say, there's adventure and danger. Things don't always go the way you expect them to. There's a stunning betrayal. And beloved characters die. The conclusion is satisfying (even if the very end is a little far-fetched.)

Saba continues to be the narrator, and the entire book is written in her dialect with no quotation marks. I've heard some complaints, but after the first few pages, I find I get into the rhythm, and I think the way the book is written adds much to my enjoyment.

If you haven't read Blood Read Road and Rebel Heart yet, you definitely should -- and you should start there. I highly recommend the Dust Lands Series to fans of dystopians and survival stories such as Divergent and The 5th Wave. I also get a Rot & Ruin vibe from the world building, although there are no zombies in the Dust Lands series (DeMalo is pretty awful, though).

Published by Margaret K. McElderry Books, May 13, 2014
Purchased copy
432 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't get past the written dialect when I first tried this series, but maybe I'm going to have to try it again. It's sounding really good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...