Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Book Review: Divergent, by Veronica Roth

I’ve read countless reviews raving about how great Divergent is, and this review isn’t going to be any different. I’m also going to try to make this pretty short, since I know you’ve all read many things about this book.

First of all, a comparison to The Hunger Games is unavoidable. Both stories have a society that is grouped – factions in Divergent and districts in The Hunger Games. In both books the main characters spend a great deal of time in training. But, these stories are both great; they are well-written, exciting, and have much that makes them unique. I can’t tell you yet which one I liked better – I loved them both.

Roth writes characters that just jump off the page. My heart pounded right along with Tris, and I felt her pain as she made a decision about her faction. All of the side characters brought out strong emotions – whether hate, love, heartbreak, or tension. She really gets you inside all their heads.

The plot was unstoppable. I read the first hundred pages, and then had to stop to read a tour book. When I went back to Divergent, I finished it in one sitting – almost 400 pages. But this book doesn’t feel long. It reads easily and fast, and is compelling enough that it is difficult to put down. It isn’t a realistic world, but dystopias aren’t supposed to be, just as most paranormal stories aren’t. That’s what you get when you pick up a book like this, so don’t expect everything to feel like it makes sense. You have to suspend your disbelief and have fun – go along for the ride and enjoy it.

The story has a satisfying ending, but also leaves you wanting the next installment, because it is obvious that everything isn’t resolved.

Divergent is a must read for dystopian fans of any age. It’s also a great one to give to someone new to the genre. I just can’t imagine what’s not to like?

Published by Katherine Tegen, May 3, 2011
Copy obtained from the library
496 pages (qualifies for my 350 Page Book Challenge!)

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

7 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read this novel. Everyone says it is so amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of The Hunger Games but I think I'll really like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so fabulous! I loved this book (yes, I was one of those ravers) and can't wait for the next in the series!
    Happy reading!
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. My heart stopped when I read the first clause in your first sentence, but it restarted when I completed the line. Happy you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far, this is my fav book of the year. Great review!
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for this....and I don't normally like dystopia. I keep hearing wonderful things about it. I love it when 400 pages just fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the middle of reading this book and I'm enjoying A LOT! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book is amazing !! I Loved it and I think it's one of my favorites (with The Hunger Games)!

    I recommend Divergent to all those who haven't read it yet !

    I can't wait to read Insurgent !!!

    regards,
    charmaine of IT Consulting Dallas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...