Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Audio Book Review: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

While I found Dark Places to be a bit detailed at times, this is a dark twisted story that you won't be able to put down.

Libby Day is our first narrator. Her mother and two sisters were brutally murdered by Libby's brother when she was seven years old. She was in the house, and her testimony helped put her brother, Ben, in prison. It's 25 years later and Libby has had a hard life, with no friends, no job, no money and little motivation to better herself.

Libby is approached by a man who is the leader of The Kill Club, an organization that is obsessed with notorious crimes. They want Libby to speak at their convention. Because Libby is desperate for money, she agrees to this. After speaking with the people at this meeting, basically "groupies" of her brother, she begins to question her brother's guilt. In order to get paid more, she reluctantly agrees to begin investigating what really happened.

We also get the point of view of Libby's mother, Patty. Her narration takes place beginning the morning of the day of the murders.

Ben also narrates. He tells his story also from the day of the murders.

No one seems innocent. A lot of the characters are warped and you can think, "Oh. So now I know who did it and why." But you will be wrong.  I don't really want to say too much about the characters, because that's part of the discovery. Suffice it to say that they are vividly written and mostly unlikable.

The build up to the event is detailed, but you don't always know what parts are going to be important to the outcome, so bear with it. The story is exposed very slowly, and I just kept listening more and more. I usually only listen to audio books in the car, and I found myself looking forward to my next car trip so I could continue. I ended up finishing it by just listening at home. I couldn't wait.

The audio is narrated by three different people, one for each point of view, and they are all excellent. I think there may be a fourth narrator because there is an additional POV at the very end.

Much like Gone Girl, I really don't think you are going to be able to predict what really happened on that day. It's unbelievable.  If you liked Flynn's other books, or like twisted mysteries that are sure to surprise, you should really check out Dark Places.

Published by Broadway Books, 2010, Random House Audio
Copy purchased from Audible
349 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...