Thursday, September 18, 2014

Book Review: Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs

Bones Never Lie is yet another engrossing story about forensic anthropologist Tempe Brennan. Reichs manages to make each story unique and unforgettable, while still endearing us to the characters.

This time the victims are children, and the crimes have been committed over several years. The authorities are just now beginning to think that some of these murders may be connected and that they are dealing with a serial killer who is still on the loose.

It soon becomes apparent that a perpetrator from Tempe's past who almost killed her is involved. I've read most of this series, but I know I've missed a few. I didn't recall this episode from a prior book, but it seemed like it would be there.

Bones Never Lie is a very difficult, confusing, painstakingly slow investigation. Numerous times they think they have things figured out, only to find out their theories are incorrect. It's delicious. (Where does she come up with this stuff???)

It wouldn't be a Tempe Brennan book without Ryan. He reappears after a long absence, but the relationship between Tempe and Ryan is strained and nothing but platonic. *sigh* There still are some interesting conversations between the two, but this relationship is on the back burner in this book.

I complained about the last book, Bones are Forever, because Tempe didn't spend enough time actually doing forensic investigating. In Bones Never Lie, she doesn't spend a great deal of time in the lab, but she does do a lot of investigating and figuring out the clues, so I wasn't disappointed.

The ending of Bones Never Lie ties up the case nicely but leaves the reader begging for the next book. Again. As I've said many times, the books are much better than the TV series (Bones), although I do enjoy it too. Anyone who enjoys a good detective story should be pointed to these books.

Published by Bantam, September 23, 2014
eARC obtained from NetGalley and Edelweiss
336 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I SO agree with you! I love this series, it's WAY better than the t.v. show, and the books are always better when Ryan is in them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious about this series for about 2 years now and with every new book or review I see I get the urge to read it right meow! It sounds right up my alley and very character driven, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...