Thursday, March 3, 2016

Book Review: Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll book cover and review
I don't read many graphic novels, but the Abraham Lincoln High School Book Award list of nominated titles for 2017 was released (Illinois' readers' choice award for high school) and Through the Woods was on it, so I decided to give it a try.

There are five short stories in Through the Woods and each of them are macabre. I get that. But some of them didn't make sense to me. They just end after something violent. I'm really bad at stopping and studying the pictures -- which is my problem with graphic novels in general -- so that might be why.

The drawings are very good. They convey a very dark, creepy tone that goes with the story. Lots of red blood.

My lack of attention when reading graphic novels coupled with my usual unhappiness about the lack of details in short stories really worked against Through the Woods.

However, if you are a fan of the macabre and enjoy the graphic format, Through the Woods might be just up your alley.

Published by Margaret K. McElderry, 2014
Copy obtained from the library
208 (unpaginated) pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2016 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. This book has been on my TBR list forever, but I haven’t bought it yet because I’ve seen so many mixed reviews. I am a fan of the macabre, though. :)

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...