Monday, March 21, 2016

Book Review: Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard book cover and review
Glass Sword, the second book in the Red Queen series, certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat for quite a while. Don't read this review until you've read Red Queen (and you should do that immediately.)

Mare and Cal have escaped at the end of Red Queen and we pick up shortly after. They are running from Maven and his army of Silvers. Mare is determined to find and save any Red and Silver blooded people, before Maven gets to them.

Most of the book focuses on Mare and her growing resistance group traveling around avoiding Maven, collecting other mixed bloods, and most of the time using whatever special powers they have.

I did think the middle of the book bogged down a bit -- kind of the same thing over and over. But once they begin the bigger, final mission (and I won't tell you what that is), the pace is breakneck.

Mare is a bit whiny. I got tired of her "woe is me" attitude, and at times she wasn't very likable, as she readily admitted to herself. Admittedly she has  lot to bear, but she didn't need to keep reminding the reader of that. It made the book seem long.

While I didn't like Glass Sword as much as Red Queen, I'm certainly invested in the series, and with the very brutal cliff hanger, I'm desperately waiting for the next installment.

My teens are in love with this series -- both boys and girls. It's a must have for any teen library.

Published by HarperTeen, February 9, 2016
Copy obtained from the library
444 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2016 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. I haven't started this series yet but I'll have to add it to my list. I loved books that are fast paced and keep me on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...