Monday, May 16, 2016

Book Review: The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye @EvelynSkyeYA

The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye book cover and review
I keep thinking about The Crown's Game. I became attached to these characters and really suffered with their dilemma.

The two main characters, Vika and Nikolai are Enchanters. They are in training and don't know about each other. The setting is an alternate historical Russia and the country has become somewhat unstable and the king needs an Enchanter to help him make decisions and use magic to control the people. It's very unusual to have two Enchanters, so they must hold the Crown's Game to decide which one is worthy. The other one must die.

Vika and Nikolai get to know each other during the games and begin to care for each other. The games are not the type I expected, where they compete against each other, at least not a first. They just each take turns creating magical things that please the King and the Prince, who happens to be Nikolai's best friend. But the Prince doesn't know Nikolai is an Enchanter. The creations are pleasing, but might also be deadly to their opponent.

There's a bit of a romance and even a love triangle, but it's slow and subtle and fits in nicely with the plot. The world and the magical creations are vivid and delightful.

The ending is devastating, as it must be, since we are going to lose one of our main characters. Or are we?  The Crown's Game is a imaginative, well-written story. There is some tension, but not too much. Some romance, but not over the top. Wonderful characters and lots of unique elements. Too bad it's almost summer (not really) and I can't recommend this for our next book club pick. Hopefully next fall we'll choose The Crown's Game.  In the meantime, I'll be recommending this one a lot.

P.S. This is my favorite cover of the year. Love it.

Published by Balzer + Bray, May17, 2016
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
416 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2016 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. I just noticed this one is a forthcoming Junior Library Guild selection. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it. I was a bit worried about the love triangle and the similarities with the Grisha trilogy, but that didn't seem to bother you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any similarities to the Grisha is only in a good way. It's been a while since I've read those, so that helped. Crown's Game has stuck with me; I think teens are going to love it.

      Delete
  3. I've been intrigued by this one since it came out, but I still haven't read it! Maybe I need to move it up on the ole TBR pile?? Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...