Monday, May 9, 2016

October Mourning, by Leslea Newman

October Mourning by Leslea Newman book cover and review
October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard was written to commemorate and remember the brutal murder of Matthew Shepard, a gay student, in Wyoming in 1998.

I'm a very tolerant person. I can understand why people don't agree with me (about anything, not just homosexuality), but I don't understand how someone can get so violent because of a difference of opinion. I guess I'm a "live and let live" kind of person. Why can't everyone be?

October Mourning made me emotional. No one deserves to suffer like that. No one's family and friends should have to live with this memory. There just isn't any reason that makes any sense for this to have happened.

October Mourning is beautifully written in verse and is easy to understand. The author makes it clear that the thoughts expressed in the poems are her own, but she has included extensive notes explaining each poem and the truths that inspired it.

October Mourning is a quick, but very powerful read that I plan to offer to a lot of students. It helps that it is on our Abe Lincoln Award List for 2017.

Published by Candlewick, 2012
Copy obtained from the library
111 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2016 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. I’m glad to hear that you liked this book. I have it on my TBR list because the author is one of my professors. I’ve read a few of her other books and really liked them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...