Thursday, September 20, 2012

Book Review: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, by Sarah J. Maas @SJMaas

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is the first novella prequel to Throne of Glass.

We get to learn about Celaena's past. Sam is a character in The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, but surprisingly, he and Celaena don't get along. (Even though he isn't in Throne of Glass, it appears that Sam and Celaena had at one time at least a friendly relationship, if not a romance.) They are sent on a mission together, to the kingdom of the Pirate Lord. Surprisingly, she and Sam decide to change the mission when they find out they are to bring back a ship full of slaves. In total defiance of their leader, Arobynn, they decide to attempt to free the slaves.

I'm always leery of short stories or novellas. I think I enjoyed The Assassin and the Pirate Lord for a couple of reasons. First, I already knew a bit about the characters and the world, and in particular, Celaena (even if she is a bit older in Throne of Glass.) Second, it is a complete story. There's no huge cliff hanger. Celaena and Sam go on a mission and complete it -- in their own thrilling way, of course.

I'm looking forward to the other three novellas in this series. I can't wait for the sequel to Throne of Glass, but these novellas are the next best thing, and I highly recommend them if you've read Throne of Glass.

Published by Bloomsbury, January 13, 2012
eBook purchased from Amazon
?? pages (1777 kb)




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

  1. I tend tos tay away from novellas, not sure why. I guess I figure if it was that important it would have been in the book. I need to start reading them, they seem to be around everywhere now.
    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be a book I really loved, or I won't bother. As I said, I'm not a short story/Novella fan, but already having the background information helps. They are quick too -- fun when you just want to "finish" something.

      Delete
  2. Why haven't I read Throne of Glass yet? I really need a month off from work, a truck load of No Doze, and 31 24-hour readathons! I actually really love when authors give you extras, it's like getting a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so with you! If I was independently wealthy...think of all the books I could read. I'm looking at retirement in around six years -- think of all the time I'll have to read!

      Hang in there -- just enjoy what time you do have to read.

      Delete
  3. I'm not usually into novellas, but the Throne of Glass Novellas were a huge exception! I loved every single one of them because they were all, as you said, complete stories without cliff hangers. Except maybe the last one, but since I read Throne of Glass first, that didn't really matter. xD

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...