Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Other Side of Life -- Flower Making

I'm using these posts to occasionally describe other things I enjoy (besides books.) I used to post these projects on my other blog, but I posted so seldom that I decided to include them here. Feel free to skip this one, if you are strictly in it for the books.

This week I tried out my new Kanzashi Flower Maker. I was surprised how fun and easy it was.
This is what the pattern looks like. It's a piece of plastic with holes and slots. You cut the fabric for your flower bigger than the pattern. 

You fold the fabric in between the pattern, and cut along the edge of the pattern.

You take a needle with a LONG piece of thread, and just follow the numbered holes. Come up at #1, down at #2, up at #3, and so on.
When you are finished, remove the pattern, and draw up the thread.
This makes ONE petal.
You then insert another piece of fabric into the pattern, and repeat, leaving the first petal hanging at the end of the thread. Don't cut the thread!
This flower had six petals, so at the end you have a thread with six petals gathered on it. You just pull the thread to gather them all in a circle, and take a few stitches to secure. You can add beads or a button for the middle. I think it turned out pretty cute!

The kit came with six different patterns--three types of flowers, each in a small and large version. I'll let you know when I get around to making some more of these. The possibilities are endless as to what you can do with the flowers when you are finished. I think this will be a fun thing to do while sitting in front of the TV.

What do you think? Do you make any kinds of flowers? I know there are all kinds of ways to do it. I thought this one was kind of unique. Can't imagine how someone figured out these patterns!




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. So pretty! I make them sometimes, but I had no idea that the pattern-thingy existed. Must be much easier and faster that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Annette. You're right about it being a great TV project. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...