Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Book Review: Sweet by Emmy Laybourne

Sweet by Emmy Laybourne Book cover and review
I enjoyed Sweet for a light, superficial read with a heavy dose of drama.

Laurel is going on a cruise with her best friend. It's a special cruise because there will be a lot of celebrities celebrating the launch of Solu, a diet sweetener that's going to change how everyone loses weight.

Laurel is shy and doesn't really want to mix with the celebs. She's also happy with her somewhat rounded figure and resents that she's expected to lose weight. She decides not to partake of Solu. She also gets embarrassed by one of her childhood celebrity crushes, Tom Tom, who runs into her on the dance floor and then kisses her!

Tom tries to make it up to Laurel. He is also very conscious of healthy eating and isn't taking the Solu either. He's attracted to Laurel, and a relationship develops. One that his publicist is not happy about.

I felt like there were two parts to Sweet. The first half is all about the romance. I was frustrated at the lack of tension or build up of what was to be the book's main premise. At about the halfway point, the plot takes off and never stops. Solu isn't what everyone thought. It's highly addictive and has deadly consequences.

Sweet has a cute romance and ends up being really exciting. The premise is unique which is always worth extra points. It's not a book that will stick with me forever, but it is well written, even with the excessive teen drama, and held my attention. I enjoyed Laybourne's Monument 14 series better, but this one is worth a read if you are interested.

Published by Feiwel & Friends, June 2, 2015
eARC obtained from NetGalley
288 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I just finished two books that ended well but had pretty bad beginnings and middles. I'm with you on my judgments, if a book isn't good throughout, it doesn't deserve a good rating. It is very frustrating because students won't keep reading books that take so long to get to the good parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very intested in this book. It kind of sounds like a guilty pleasure book. I need these in my life at times. Sad to see there is no tension or build up to the romance though. how was it on the mystery thriller side. I thought this was more of that kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a good guilty pleasure books. It turns out exciting and the tension builds nicely. The romance is cute, but not the focus, especially at the end.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...