Monday, August 10, 2015

Book Review: Never Always Sometimes by Adi Alsaid

Never Always Sometimes by Adi Alsaid book cover and review
Never Always Sometimes is cute. I liked it. And for me, that's saying a lot because I'm pretty picky about my contemporary YA novels.

Dave and Julia are best friends. And they are really each other's only friends. They are constantly together. There are only a couple of months left in their senior year of high school and they rediscover a list they made before their freshman year. The list, called the Nevers, contains those things that they vowed to never do during high school to avoid all the typical high school cliches.

So, to make their last couple of months more exciting, they decide to do everything on the list. One of the first things is to attend a beer party. At this party, Dave meets Gretchen and they hit it off. Eventually, as they talk more at school and go on a few dates, they begin a romantic relationship. But everything is weird, because Dave has always secretly been madly in love with Julia. And maybe Julia is in love with Dave.

So you can see where this is going. It's funny and entertaining, and includes the proper amount of teen drama. I'd read several reviews that either didn't like the ending or were surprised. I expected it to end the way it did and I was not disappointed, so don't worry.

Teens are going to love Never Always Sometimes. I enjoyed it, and since I've DNFd several contemporaries recently, this was a pleasant surprise. Not my favorite genre, but a good book within that genre.

Published by Harlequin Teen, August 4, 2015
eARC obtained from Ingram E-Galleys
320 pages

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. I didn't care for the author's first book which I was pretty "meh" but I'm hoping I would hit it off with this one. It bodes well that you stick with this book after dnfing other contemporaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a few weeks ago. I've never read anything by Alsaid but his writing is gorgeous! I enjoyed this book --- thank you for the awesome review! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought this for my library so appreciate this timely review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read similar YA books where the ending was the opposite of this one so I was one of the people pleasantly surprised with how it ended. It works really well with the story, I agree. I also thought this one had its humorous moments! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...