Monday, August 3, 2015

Book Review: Trust No One by Paul Cleave @PaulCleave

Trust No One by Paul Cleave book cover and review
If Trust No One doesn't keep you guessing, I don't think any book will.

Jerry is a crime fiction writer with the pen name Henry Cutter. Jerry has Alzheimer's and his times of clarity are getting farther and farther apart. He confesses to crimes all the time -- crimes that he wrote about in his books.

When Jerry was diagnosed, he began to keep a journal so that when he no longer remembered things, he could read his journal. The story flashes back from the present to Jerry's journal entries.

There are a lot of clues. Something happened at Jerry's daughter's wedding, but we don't know what. Jerry's journal is apparently not available in the present, but we don't know what happened to it. Jerry sneaks out of his care facility once in a while, and no one can figure out how he's doing it. And women are turning up dead on the days he escapes. His wife, who stuck with him through everything, has left and doesn't visit. Why?

Trust No One is well crafted and pulls you in several different directions as you try to figure everything out. Jerry is certainly sympathetic, and the disease he suffers from is devastating.

It did take me a while to really sink into the story. About 1/3 of the way through, Trust No One becomes "unputdownable." Also, I don't think the title is very descriptive. "Trust No One" was never mentioned throughout the entire text that I can recall. I just think the title could be a little more clever, but it is accurate. It was hard to know who to trust.

Trust No One is an adult read appropriate for teens who enjoy thrillers. Cleave is a new author to me, and I hope I get a chance to read some more of his stories.

Published by Atria, August 4, 2015
eARC obtained from NetGalley
352 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, this one sounds good. I'm sticking it on my TBR list. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...