Monday, August 15, 2016

Book Review: The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski @marierutkoski

The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski book cover and review
The Winner's Crime is an interesting and exciting continuation of the story in The Winner's Curse.

It's always harder for me to review a book that took me a long time to read. Especially when it's not because of the book. My reading pace has just slowed tremendously because of other things, and it's hard for me to engage in the story.

However, I really enjoyed The Winner's Crime and the direction it took the characters.  You need to read the books in order, however.  Kestrel and Arin are apart for most of this book, but they are each working to better the situation of their countries, and they are keeping a lot of secrets.

That's the only complaint I have about The Winner's Crime. I don't like when a romance is unable to proceed because of secrets. I didn't really see the necessity of Kestrel keeping her motives a secret from Arin.  I know it was necessary to the plot, but other than that she could have come clean.

I do like the relationship between Kestrel and Verex, her betrothed. It's pretty honest, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they may accomplish together.  And the emperor is scaring me. He's absolutely ruthless and I'm frightened for all of our characters.

If you enjoyed the first book, don't wait to experience The Winner's Crime. It will keep you guessing, and you will still be guessing at the end! I need to get my hands on The Winner's Kiss soon.

Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR), 2015
Copy obtained from the Library
402 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2016 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...