Monday, December 18, 2017

Book Review (DNF) - The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand

The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand book cover and review
The Afterlife of Holly Chase is a cute book, and I would recommend it if you want a lighthearted Christmas story, even though I didn't finish it.

I started reading The Afterlife of Holly Chase in October, before the release date and just couldn't get into the story.  It seemed too silly.  But, after reading some excellent reviews and since it's the Christmas season, I thought I'd try again.

The Afterlife of Holly Chase is based on A Christmas CarolI wouldn't call it a retelling, but maybe a modernization.  Holly is awful.  She's the Scrooge.  And she's visited by three ghosts and still doesn't change her ways.  So, she dies.  As a ghost, she works for a company who finds a different Scrooge each year and sends them their ghosts to try to get them to change.  Holly is the ghost of Christmas past.  She has to do a lot of research throughout the year to learn about this year's Scrooge so she knows what to show him/her from the past.

This year's Scrooge is a rich, spoiled teenager, just like Holly.  He's hot too. So you can probably see where this is going.

I read 1/3 of The Afterlife of Holly Chase. It's well-written, well-paced, and entertaining. It was just too goofy for me.  I just couldn't buy in.  I was doing the eye roll too often.  And it seemed a bit predictable, but that's not really why I quit. (And maybe my predictions aren't correct since I didn't finish it!)

If this sounds like something you would enjoy--go for it! It's a great read for the season.  And if you want something light-hearted that can't be taken too seriously, The Afterlife of Holly Chase will fit the bill.  And the references to, A Christmas Carol make it even better.

Published by HarperTeen, October 24, 2017
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
132/389 pages

Rating: DNF





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Even knowing that you didn't finish it, I was thinking this book sounds like a fun, light-hearted Christmas book. But there are too many really great books out there so I'm glad you moved on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...