Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Book Review: Iron Gold by Pierce Brown

Iron Gold by Pierce Brown book cover and review
Iron Gold is the unexpected fourth installment of the Red Rising "Trilogy." I'm so glad Brown decided to continue this series because I really enjoy these characters and this world.

*spoilers if you haven't read the first three books*

So, the revolution ended, right?  But apparently, for the past ten years, war continued to ravage this world.  Darrow is determined to end the war -- no matter what he has to give up.

His story is entwined with a few other points-of-view. There is a thief, Ephraim, who ends up working for someone he never wanted to be associated with.  There is Lyria who lives on Mars.  But Mars is even worse than when Darrow was born there -- even though they are supposed to be free now.  She ends up escaping after losing almost everything. And there is Lysander and Cassius who travel together and end up fighting for their lives like never before.

And Darrow, who is a fugitive from justice, is working to overthrow Venus.  All these people come together in unexpected ways in a devastating battle. That is really only the tip of the iceberg plot-wise, but I don't want to give too much away.  Suffice it to say, Iron Gold is exciting and action-packed as usual.

Something about the writing just draws me into these books.  At 600 pages, I was surprised how fast I finished it. There are a lot of characters, and this is a complex story.  Episodes from the first three books are referred to for context, but we don't get a summary.  There is a list of characters at the beginning of the book that was very helpful to me.

This series is worth the investment. I'm so glad I've been able to enjoy it.  At the end of Iron Gold, we are pretty much left hanging, so I can't wait until the fifth book, Dark Age, is released in February.

Published by Del Ray, January 16, 2018
Copy obtained from the library
601 pages

Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2018 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. This should help me decide for once and for all to read Red Rising, at least.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...