Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Book Review: A Conspiracy of Bones by Kathy Reichs

A Conspiracy of Bones by Kathy Reichs book cover and review
I was a little disappointed by the last Temperance Brennan book I read, but I really enjoyed A Conspiracy of Bones.

My main issue with the previous book is that Tempe didn't do much lab work. She really didn't apply much forensic knowledge to solve the case. In A Conspiracy of Bones, the same is true, however, Tempe is challenged to solve the case without much use of her lab. A body of a man has been found with no hands and a very damaged face. There is no love lost between the new director and Tempe, so Tempe isn't even asked to help identify the body.

But, she is determined to help, so she enlists some friends and past associates to feed her information. And of course, she puts herself in danger. More than once.

Her personal life is always an added benefit to the stories, and in this case, she is battling a chronic, life-threatening condition, Ryan being away, and anger and some depression from basically losing her job. (This illness mirrors Reichs' life and is the reason she didn't release a book in 2019.)

I enjoyed the usual painstaking attention to detail that allows these cases to be solved. It is never what you think, and this case is no different. I haven't read all the books, but I will always be a fan and look forward to catching up on the ones I've missed when I get a chance.

It helps to be familiar with the characters -- it just adds to the story -- but it isn't necessary. A Conspiracy of Bones is the 19th book in the series, so you really get to know the characters after that long. And, honestly, I liked the early books better. Just FYI, the first one is Deja Dead. Oh, and also the TV series Bones is based on these books, but I never really cared for the series. Tempe has a much different personality in the books. Check Temperance Brennan out if you like detectives who specialize in forensics.

Published by Scribner, March 17, 2020
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
352 pages

Rating: 4.5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2019 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an NCIS episode in book form and that's a good thing! I always find the forensic stories to be so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of Bones either, but I love Kathy Reichs! I can't wait to read this one. I might just have to buy it since my libraries are closed now :( I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...